Michael Jackson This Is It DVD R1English only

Home Forums Cover Requests Movie DVD Covers Michael Jackson This Is It DVD R1English only

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rifleman4440Rifleman4440
      Participant

Looking for a Region 1 English only original cover. Thank you,

TechnofeeliakTechnofeeliak

I just uploaded
      Michael Jackson’s This is it
      along with
      Number Ones
      and
      Greatest Hits History

Rifleman4440Rifleman4440
      Participant

I got it, and the other two. Thank you! Did you get my reply to your comment on Robin Williams Remembered, regarding the flattening of covers?

I had to search a little for the message.
      You may not get a notification, but I’m dropping the link here for quick reference.

Robin Williams Remembered – A Pioneers of Television Special R1 DVD Cover

Hi Rifleman4440
      thanks for the updated cover. You did a great job.
      I want to show you the difference between one of my older scan jobs and the recent work I did to improve it. I had uploaded this by mistake as I meant to fix it.

Not bad but not great:

Star Wars: Episode 4 – A New Hope (1977 – Theatrical) R1 DVD Cover

This is after about 20 minutes of work in Photoshop:

Star Wars Episode 4 (1977 – Theatrical) R1 DVD Cover

Removing all the dust, fixing the curve and levels. Adding vibrance. Modifying the color of the gold band and text. Adjusting the Red Green and Blue levels.
      Anyway, I don’t want you to feel you have to do any of this. Just the fact the cover you contributed isn’t warped makes it accurate and usable which is what is needed.

By the way, with everything going on in our world and money losing value, it’s nice to see that people still feel quality is important in their work. Don’t you feel that yourself?
      That there are people you can count on even when there’s less of an incentive to care?

Rifleman4440Rifleman4440
      Participant

I guess it is a matter of personal taste. To be honest, except for flattening the spine and the gold band and text, I prefer the un-retouched cover. As a former offset printer, I appreciate the effect of halftone when printing colors. Most of that gets lost during scanning and when the color saturation is increased it begins to look more “Plasticky” for lack of a better word. It’s sort of like the difference between “Sweet” and “Sticky Sweet” if that makes sense. Years ago, I used to print CDs in a Compact Disc manufacturing facility. The discs are silkscreened and if the correct density squeegee was used, you would get a clean image, with the correct colors, but if a squeegee was too soft, or worn, the ink would lay down too thick and oversaturates the colors. That’s the difference I see between the two covers that you shared for reference. The Gold looked weak in the original, but perfect in the redo. The characters and background of the original were a little weak, but I think the redo is oversaturated. I think if I was doing that cover, I might have tried to equalize the balance of the colors and left it at that. And whatever you did to fix the gold, of course. I print my covers on Premium Photo Glossy paper for my covers (except for the XBOX ONE covers I recently did. those were on a super bright white paper) And paper changes a lot of how it looks. It is interesting all the factors that can affect our projects, is it not? Enjoy!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.